Homemade Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
Wanted to try this recipe from scratch and stumbled across this recipe. It was simple and delicious! A little time consuming to peel & cut up the potatoes, but it was much better then the boxed version.
- 3 medium size potatoes, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried onion
- salt and freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and blend in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk, minced garlic, dried onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 8x8in (or similar size) casserole dish. Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes. Add the second layer of potatoes on top. Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, covered with tinfoil for 30 minutes. Remove tinfoil and continue baking uncovered for 20-30 minutes more, or until potatoes are cooked and cheese is browned and sauce is bubbly.
Big thanks to Tastes better from Scratch for this recipe!