So beans and rice week at church has about turned me into a full fledged vegetarian!!! I have been wanting a burger all week and this was my answer to staying with my pledge to aid other’s through sacrifice and having the burger I really wanted. I have to say that it was an interesting flavor. Topped with cheese and buttery bread, it was enough of a look-a-like that I was happy: #beansandriceweek continues!
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- bullion cube
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to boil. Add bullion cube, quinoa. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 14 minutes or until all liquid is gone. Remove from heat.
- Pulse carrots in food processor. Add garlic, beans, breadcrumbs, egg and spices and pulse to combine. stir in cooked quinoa.
- Form in to burger patties
- In nonstick skillet over medium heat, drizzle oil. Cook the patties until they are crispy. 6-8 minutes each side. Enjoy!
I like this burger topped with cheese on buttered bread, like a grilled cheese. Its so flavorful and delicious!