Sweet Potato Bean Bowl Recipe
Beans and rice week continues: Last night’s recipe was AMAZING! I came across it on Pinterest, I have two sweet potatoes that have been sitting on my fruit tray for a couple of weeks now, begging to be cooked. This seemed like the perfect way to spice up my dinner. For beans and rice week, we’re eating cheaply, so my intent is to only eat things that we already have on hand all week. We will donate what we save to help people get access to clean water! Having made similar dishes in the past, I was not so sure how sweet potatoes would factor in. They were so rich and sweet and creamy! This is a great vegetarian recipe, so I guess I finally had a meatless Monday!
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- olive oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (vegetable for a vegetarian meal)
- 1 and 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby jack)
- Sour cream, for topping
- Cilantro, optional for topping
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine two tablespoons olive oil with all of the sweet potatoes.
- Saute the sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Add in remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the rice. Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
- Stir in the undrained diced tomatoes, black beans, frozen corn, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is drained and the rice is cooked through.
- Top with the shredded cheese and then cover the pot with the skillet for 1-2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro if you desire.