As promised, I made this for dinner last night and they were AMAZING! Its been a long time since I’ve had them, I made some for my Sister’s Bridal shower years ago and don’t think I’ve cooked them since. They were better than I remembered. So crispy & delish. My bf didn’t like them, but he doesn’t like anything he can’t readily identify, lol! I wasn’t phased, that meant there’s leftovers for me to devour later on today!
To make tostones, you will need the following ingredients:
3 – 4 Green Plantains
- First, take a wide pot or skillet and add about 1/5 inch of oil. Put the temperature on high heat
- To peel the plantain, cut the ends off,Cut a thin line vertically down the plantain,After slicing both sides, with your fingers start to pull back the peel. After the plantain is peeled, cut into about half to 1″ wide pieces.Once all of the plantains are peeled and cut,
- Take one of the pieces and add it to the oil to test and see it is hot enough. The oil will be at a good temperature if it starts to bubble gently and the plantain starts to cook (not turn brown) lightly. If the plantain starts to cook very rapidly and turn golden brown too quick, turn down the heat and let it cool before adding the rest.
- Add the remaining plantains and let them cook for a few minutes.
- After a couple of minutes, stir the plantains to flip and ensure they cook evenly.
- Stir occasionally, when they are a nice golden color and have been frying for about 5 to 7 minutes, remove from the oil. If they start to turn brown they are overcooking.
- Once they are precooked, remove from the oil and let them cool a little before flattening them. Just use a cutting board and a flat plate (or two flat plates). Once they are pressed, start adding them in small batches to the oil.
- Controlling the oil temperature can be tricky. When you add the pressed tostones, if they cook very rapidly and start to turn brown, the oil is too hot. I usually adjust the temperature and lower it after I precook the plantains. Let them cook for about a minute and flip them, cook for another minute or two before removing from the oil and placing on a paper towel lined bowl or plate.
Much love to http://dominicanflavor.com/appetizers/fried-plantainstostones.html for this recipe, it is amazing!!!