While I love going to a restaurant the much as the next person, I love making a huge steak at home! If you are a meat-atarian like myself, you need to know how to hook up the perfect steak. I also wanted to share this article on the 31 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Steak, just in case you needed some convincing of how awesome steak is!
The key is a cast iron skillet and a good unsalted butter. No margarine.
- 2 steaks your fav cut, I love ribeye because of the marbling or new york strip
- Olive oil
- unsalted Butter
- sea Salt
- fresh cracked Pepper
- Your fav seasonings: I love Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick.
- Take the steak out the fridge and let it warm up on the counter for about 20 minutes. Very important! This allows it to cook more evenly.
- Season while its sitting there. Feel free to go pretty heavy on the seasonings.
- Next up prepare the pan. I typically cut up a few mushrooms, I love to sauté these along with my steak. You can also do onions & peppers along side if you like.
- Start out by putting about a tablespoon of butter in the pan and maybe 2 table spoons of olive oil and turning the pan on high. If you are going to cook it until well done, skip the olive oil (Because it of its low smoke point).
- You want to pan to be piping hot, so once the butter fully melts and starts to bubble, you should be good.
- Add steak to the pan & RESIST the urge to look or flip or anything. Let the meat get that amazing, perfect sear. Its best to pick two steaks that are similar in thickness to avoid having to time the cooking times differently. My husband & I both like ours cooked to medium plus. That's about 5 minutes per side.
- Flip only once. That way you don't disturb all that goodness you have going on.
- Once they are done remove from the pan and let sit on a plate for a couple minutes to lock in the juices before cutting.
Here’s a cool chart to help you find your perfect doneness with out cutting into the steak.
Thanks http://cerebellumchef.com/tag/steak/ for this helpful graphic
Happy cooking. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I want more steak in your life!!!