Zucchini Boat Recipe
I have been trying to incorporate more veggies into my meal preps (as requested by my Mom). We share a meal prep recipe each week as a way of making eating well easier on ourselves. This week I wanted to try something different and this was a fun an easy meal prep recipe. It isn’t all that different from a typical pasta recipe, you just serve it in the zucchini so you skip the pasta. I didn’t have to feel bad about topping it with mozzarella and panko, lol! This is a fresh and easy take on dinner.
- 3-4 medium zucchini
- 1 jar marinara or pasta sauce
- olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- sea salt
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim ends from zucchini and slice in half, lengthwise. Use the tip of a spoon to scrape out the zucchini flesh, chop it and set it aside. Place the scooped out zucchini boats on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until just slightly fork-tender. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a 12" skillet and place over medium heat. Add turkey (or beef), onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Cook, stirring to break up the ground meat as it cooks. Continue to cook and stir until meat is thoroughly cooked and veggies have softened. Drain off as much grease as possible and return the skillet to the heat.
- Add the chopped zucchini flesh, mushrooms, most of pasta sauce in jar (reserve 1 cup for later), Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and garlic and onion powder. Stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and allow to simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove partially cooked zucchini from baking dish and pour off water. Pour the 1 cup of reserved sauce into the empty baking dish and place zucchini boats on top of the sauce.
- Divide the filling between the zucchini boats. If you have extra filling, spoon it into the dish around the zucchini boats. Cover the dish with foil, and bake for 20 minutes, or until zucchini is fork tender. Remove dish from oven and set oven to BROIL.
- Remove foil and sprinkle zucchini boats with mozzarella, Parmesan and the panko bread crumbs. Place dish in oven, watching closely, and cook for just a couple of minutes until cheese has melted and bread crumbs are golden brown.
I seasoned the boats and roasted with some squash for the Jellies
Boats on boats. I double this recipe, since I was meal prepping for myself, my Mom & My sister.
Topped with all that goodness!
This was an easy, and tasty meal
Huge thank you to https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/italian-stuffed-zucchini-boats/ for this recipe!