Red Beans and Sausage Recipe
This red beans & rice recipe is my fav, straight out of NOLA. #beansandriceweek Crossroads is eating cheaply to give our excess to 3 organizations!
I got this recipe years ago in New Orleans. I love how colorful it comes out and the subtle spice in each bite! I haven’t made it in years and I’m kind of glad for a kick in the pants from Crossroads to search for this recipe!
- 2 lb sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 15 oz cans red beans, drained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp sweet pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Cook sausage in dutch oven over medium high heat about 5 minutes, stirring until brown. Remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan.
- Saute peppers, celery, onion and garlic 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in beans and next 5 ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes
- Stir in sausage, simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
- Prepare rice according to package. Serve read beans and sausage over hot cooked rice.